Follow My Thoughts

The Author

The Author
"Don't be offended. This is all MY opinion. Ain't nothin' that I'm sayin' [law]..."

Thursday, July 15, 2010

The "Dime a Dozen" Theory

I was asked to discuss the "Dime a Dozen" theory. According to www.usingenglish.com, if something is "a dime a dozen", it is extremely common, possibly too common. This saying is looked at the same way in society. Someone being referred to as coming “a dime a dozen” is NOT a good thing, especially since every person would like to think of himself or herself as being “one in a million”. The saying is used in many contexts, but I'm going to talk about it in accordance to relationships. Generally, there's approximately 2-3 times as many women in the population as men. The statistics get even worse when it comes to the Black population, with a great deal of our men in prison or dead. 



The previously mentioned may be grim to think about, but lets look at it in terms of economics. The less of a product there is on a market, the higher the demand for that product (men...specifically GOOD men). Well with women, the very opposite is the case. Men know that women outnumber them to a certain extent and some of them take full advantage of this fact. Some men look at like, “Why settle down with ONE woman, no matter HOW good she may or may not be, when there are SO MANY more woman out there just waiting to be blessed by my attention and/or presence.” Lol. Yes, I may be joking a little bit here, but this is NOT far from the actual mindset of a lot guys out there. I'm not trying to put ALL guys out there in a "box", but lets be REAL. This IS the case for the most part. 



I’m only speaking from personal experience and stories I’ve heard from other people.  Many people, not only guys but women too, use this as reasoning to cheat or do whatever other type of “dirt” they do. What one woman/man won’t do, ANOTHER woman/man will. Think about it. If people, specifically men, didn’t know there was a surplus of the opposite sex out there (many of whom are willing and waiting to do whatever they want) they’d maybe try a little harder to MAKE things work in their current romantic relationships. Instead, I believe this saying, “a dime a dozen” is used as a cop out for people to go and do whatever with WHOMever they please. My opinion…but do me favor and just take a second to think about this...:). 


-Tania AKA Nia Janei...THE Prototype

4 comments:

  1. I agree with you but I also think it depends on the age of the man. A younger man may not care as much about his relationship because he thinks he has so much time to find the perfect woman for him. However, an older man may put more effort into his current relationship as he is running out of time. And considering that the average age for a man to get married now a days is approximately 30; he could just be stalling his freedom until later on in life.
    I like your insights though :)

    ReplyDelete
  2. thanks for reading, foremost :). and youre right...age does have a lot to do with it; however, for some of these men..."age aint nothin but a number" for lack of better words lol. Since an increase in age doesnt necessarily mean an increase in maturity, there are more "old" men out here doing uncalled for and "childish" things w/in relationships than a lot of us would like to admit... i.e. Cheating on their wives with women half their age, lying, etc... I appreciate your feedback though :).

    ReplyDelete
  3. That is how a LOT of us men feel and I will admit to feeling that way, to certain extent, myself. The one caveat I would add is that some of us are honest enough to tell a woman that we will not be settling down. At that point it's up to the woman to decide whether or not she wants a roster spot. lol Not to sound insensitive. If a woman is okay with it I don't see the problem. And age does change the way a man thinks.

    ReplyDelete
  4. I agree somewhat. Some men ARE upfront, and unfortunately some women do relent and STILL settle for less than what they deserve. I don't feel that makes him behaving that way "right"..but hey? lol. Also, age does tend to change the way men think in a LOT of cases...but like everything there are exceptions...i know of some men myself who are DEFINITELY too old to be participating in the ridiculous antics they do...but hey...t'is life...if the women theyre dealing with think thats what they deserve, who am i to say anything?

    ReplyDelete